Miami Art Week is Miami’s craziest week. It presses like a whirlwind with fairs, exhibitions and scattered installations that begin with preparations, installations and press releases months before the official opening, which takes place during the first week of December and involves international fairs (first of all by order of importance and numbers, Art Basel), museums, galleries, private collections, complexes and art studios, which attract to themselves thousands of people from all over the world. The reasons are easy to tell: firstly, Miami Art Week has taken on huge proportions with the possibility of making quality purchases even at reasonable prices, secondly, Miami, the Magic City, is always a tropical paradise, a place to get lost in the beauty and relaxation of South American rhythms: a pleasure to live intensely. Last but not least in December Miami enjoys an exceptional climate.
Those who venture for Miami Art Week have the opportunity to range between art – in all its forms – design and the latest fashion parties in the craziest hours of the night: in Miami the action of street artists combines with the extravagance of fashion that during Miami Art Week is known to be pure madness.
Before venturing out, however, it is good to have detailed information about the fairs and their locations, exhibitions and events in circulation:
Fairs in MIAMI BEACH:
- ART BASEL (December 5-8) -Miami Beach Convention Center, 1901 Convention Center Drive;
- DESIGN MIAMI (December 3-8) -Meridian Avenue & 19th Street;
- AQUA (December 4-8) -Aqua Art Miami at the Aqua Hotel, 1530 Collins Avenue;
- INK Miami, (December 4-8)-The Dorchester Hotel in South Beach, 1850 Collins Ave,
- PULSE (December 5-8) -Indian Beach Park, 4601 Collins Ave;
- SCOPE (December 3-8) Miami Beach Pavilion, 801 Ocean Drive;
- UNTITLED (December 4-8) Ocean Drive and 12th Street;
Fairs in MIAMI :
- ART MIAMI (December 3-8) Art Miami Pavilion, One Miami Herald Plaza (NE 14th Street & Biscayne Bay), Downtown Miami, FL 33132
- CONTEXT (December 3-8) The CONTEXT Art Miami Pavilion One Miami Herald Plaza (NE 14th Street & Biscayne Bay), Downtown Miami, FL 33132
- NADA (December 5-8) -Ice Palace Studios, 1400 North Miami Avenue;
- PINTA (December 4-8) Mana Wynwood, 2217 NW 5TH Avenue;
- PRIZM (December 2-8) Alfred I. Dupont Building, 169 East Flagler Street Miami;
- RED DOT MIAMI (December 4-8) Mana Wynwood, 2217 NW 5th Ave. at NW 22nd St
- SPECTRUM MIAMI ART SHOW (December 4-8) Mana Wynwood, 2217 NW 5th Ave. at NW 22nd St
- SATELLITE (December 4-8) -18 NW 14th Street.
- RUBELL CONTEMPORARY ARTS FOUNDATION (Allapattah) (new location opened in honor of Miami Art Week, Dec 4-6, 9 am – 5 pm; Dec 7-8, 10 am – 5 pm) 1100 NW 23 St, Miami FL 33127;
- DE LA CRUZ COLLECTION (Miami Design District) December 3-7 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM, 23 NE 41st St, Miami, FL 33137;
- THE MARGULIES COLLECTION AT the WAREhOUSE (Wynwood Arts District) Mon–Sat 9–5; Sun 9–2, 591 NW 27th St, Miami, FL 33127;
- CRAIG ROBINS COLLECTION AT DACRA (Design District) 3-8 Dicembre 9AM-6PM, 3841 NE 2nd Ave. Suite 400.
- THE BASS MUSEUM OF ART – 2-4 Dic. 10AM-5PM, 5 Dic. 10AM-4PM, 6-8 Dic 10AM-5PM, al 2100 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139. Exhibited: Mickalene Thomas (BETTER NIGHTS); Lara Favaretto (BLIND SPOT); Heague Yang (IN THE CONE OF UNCERTAINTY); Edison Peñafiel (WALGREENS WINDOWS).
- THE WOLFSONIAN-FIU 2-8 Dic.10PM-6PM, 1001 Washington Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139. Exhibited: A UNIVERSE OF THINGS: MICKY WOLSON COLLETCS; CUBAN CARICATURE AND CULTURE: THE ART OF MASSAGUER; ART AND DESIGN IN THE MODERN AGE: SELECTIONS FROM THE WOLSONIAN COLLECTION.
- JEWISH MUSEUM, 10AM-5PM, 301 Washington Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139. Exhibited: MIRA LEHR: A WALK IN THE GARDEN; ZACHARY BALBER: TAMIM
- PÉREZ ART MUSEUM MIAMI (10AM-6PM)- 1103 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, FL 33132. Exhibited: TERESITA FERNANDEZ: ELEMENTAL; JOSÉ CARLOS MARTINAT: AMERICAN ECHO CHAMBER; ZHAO GANG: HISTORY PAINTING; THE OTHERS SIDE OF NOW: FORESIGHT IN THE CONTEMPORARY CARRIBEAN ART; GEORGE SEGAL: ABRAHAM’S FAREWELL TO ISHMAEL; WHT CARRIED US OVER: GIFT FROM GORDON W.BAILEY; BÁRBARA WAGNER & NENJAMIN DE BURCA: ESTÁS VENDO COISAS
- ICA (Institute of Contemporary Art Miami) -3 Dic. 7–10pm; 4 Dic.11am–7pm; 5 Dic.11am–5pm; 6 Dic.11am–10pm; 7 e 8 Dic. 11am–7pm, 61 NE 41st St, Miami, FL 33137. Exhibited: STERLING RUBY, ERIC-PAUL RIEGE: WEAVING DANCE; YAYOI KUSAMA.
- PATRICIA & PHILLIP FROST ART MUSEUM 10AM-5PM, 10975 SW 17th St, Miami, FL 33199. Exhibited: ART AFTER STONEWALL, 1969-1989; CONNECTIVITY: selections from the Collection of the Frost Art Museum.
- MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) 10AM-5PM, 770 NE 125th St, North Miami FL 33161. In esposizione: CECILIA VICUÑA: ABOUT TO HAPPEN; ALICE RAHON: POETIC INVOCATIONS.
- MOAD (Museum of Art and Design) 1-6PM, 600 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, Fl 33132. IN ESPOSIZIONE: WHERE THE OCEAN MEET; FORENSIC ARCHITECTURE:TRUE TO SCALE.
- WYNWOOD WALL, 10:30 AM-11:30 PM), 2520 NW 2nd Ave, Miami, FL 33127;
- MUSEUM OF GRAFFITI, 11:AM-7PM, open from Dec. 5, 299 NW 25th St, Miami, FL 33133
- LOWE ART MUSEUM, 10AM-4PM, 1301 Stanford Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33124. In esposizione: DIAGO: THE PASTS OF THIS AFRO-CUBAN PRESENT; CARLOS ESTÉVEZ: CITIES OF THE MIND; ARTLAB@ THE LOWE: RUSSIA UNFRAMED.
- NSU ART MUSEUM FORT LAUDERDALE, 11AM-5PM Dic. 1 E Las Olas Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301. In esposizione: HAPPY!; WILLIAM J. GLACKENS: FROM PENCIL TO PAINT; I PAINT MY REALITY: SURREALISM IN LATIN AMERICA; TRANSITIONS AND TRANSFORMATIONS.
ART COMPLEX and Gallery
- Oolite Arts, 924 Lincoln Road, 2nd Floor, Miami Beach, FL 33139
- Fountainhead Studio, 7338 NW Miami Ct, Miami, FL 33150
- Bakehouse Complex, 561 NW 32nd St, Miami, FL 33127
- El Espacio 23, (the new Jorge Pérez center for arts) al NW 23rd Street, Allapattah, Miami
Exhibitions, events and installations during the mimmi Art Week:
– MOS (Meeting of Styles underground Art Basel) 6-8 Dic Little Haiti;
- PAOLO DE CUARTO, CONTINUUM PRE-BASEL at the Rudolph Budja GALLERY, 2 Dic. 7-9PM;
- FAENA FESTIVAL THE LAST SUPPER (2-8 Dic) an exploration of spirituality and food, abundance and sacrifice, indulgence and abstinence, and archetypal symbolism and contemporary aesthetics. 3201 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL, 33140;
- DESIRE: An Art Basel toast to wanting more, from Lamborghini luxury to Micky Wolfson’s most coveted finds, at the Wolfsonian-FIU, 6 dic. 6-11PM;
- ART AFRICA MIAMI’S 9TH EDITION, 3 Dicembre 12-2:30PM, 919 NW 2ND Ave, 33136;
- MOMENTUM: Nautilus by Arlo, 1825 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, 33139;
- Pink Beast by Fernando Laposse 2019 in the Design District;
- Les Lalanne at the iconic Raleigh Gardens;
- Order of Importance by Leandro Erlich (on the seaside of the Collins Ave);
- A Tribe from Wonderland by Stefano Ogliari Badessi at DAM, Miami.
Art Basel organized the Artist Studio Visits program to meet artists and visit studios in their studios in Wynwood, Downtown Miami, Miami Beach, Coral Gables and other locations. For the list of participating artists and studios, refer to the interactive map. On The following link you can see the list of artists collaborating with Art Basel:
(On the title: Mother with Child by Emilio Villalba, 2018 @Modern Eden. Scope)